Needlepoint Variation Descriptions
- Assisi Embroidery, Voided Work, or Reversa is where the design is left open while the work around it is finished in needlepoint.
- Berlin Work is a traditional style.
- Blackwork focuses on black threads.
- Goldwork involves the use of metallic threads, and is not limited to gold, but can use silver, copper, bronze or other metallic threads.
- Hardanger Embroidery, a form of Needlepoint stitching, uses pulled work and removed threads.
- Whitework Embroidery is where the stitching and foundation canvas are done in the same color, usually white or natural colors.
- Needlepoint Lace is where lace is done using needlepoint or embroidery threads or stitches.
Examples of the Different Needlepoint Variations
Assisi Embroidery, Voided Work, Reversa
- Voided Work - A history of Voided Work, where Assisi Embroidery gets its name and examples of the style.
- Assisi Embroidery - Assisi Embroidery stitching history and evolution styles.
- Article on Reversa -Voided Works and history, from the West Kingdom Needleworker's Guild.
- Assisi Work with examples -A full article with good reading all about "Stalking the Wild Assisi," with examples and a bibliography for further research.
- Free Assisi Work Patterns and Charts -From Dunmani Designs, free Assisi Work charts to try out. Click "Assisi" under Free Cross Stitch on the left frame.
- Planning the Reversa Project - Great site that takes a Reversa project and breaks it down into five stages: the pattern, planning, designing, transferring, embroidering, and finishing.
- What is Berlin Work? -From Wikipedia, a description and history of Berlin Work.
- Berlin Work -Evolution of Berlin Work Needlepoint.
- Berlin and Example -Brief history of Berlin Work. From the Hermann-Grima / Gallier House.
- Berlin Work Editorial -'Homage to Berlin' from the A Thimblefull... Newsletter from The Status Thimble. History, popular subjects of the time, the style of the needlepoint art and the basic definition. This is in .pdf form, and is an interesting read for anyone interested in Berlin work.
- Blackwork Embroidery Archives -The Blackwork Embroidery Archives: Original Blackwork Patterns Inspired by Historical Sources.Patterns, costumes and references.
- Blackwork Samplers and Projects from Aion Designs -If you are wanting to try a sampler done in Blackwork, Aion Designs has several to choose from, and to get ideas from. Click each photo for skill rating, size of project and the stitches used for the samplers.
- Free Blackwork Patterns - From Dunmani Designs, a selection of free Blackwork patterns to download and try out. Click "Blackwork" on the left frame to locate the page.
- Blackwork Decorated Tree -Blackwork decorated tree done in three colors, ideal for a Christmas craft.
- Blackwork - History and Technique -From Wikipedia, Blackwork and its history and modern works.
- Goldwork - Brief history of goldwork, information on the embroidery style and examples of goldwork in needlepoint.
- Goldwork Couching -Goldwork in needlepoint using couching techniques.
- Goldwork Example -A picture example of Goldwork using laid in and couching techniques.
- The Goldwork Guild -Guild all about Goldwork, with class info and product and supply information.
- Historical Goldwork Techniques - The background and stitch techniques of Goldwork, with links to examples of items using Goldwork.
- Kits For Sale Using Goldwork - UK -6 different kits using Goldwork from Dinsdale Embroideries in the UK.
- Kits For Sale Using Goldwork - US - Many different kits using Goldwork from JDR Brazilian Elegance in the US.
- Goldwork Scissors -Scissors made for cutting the threads used in Goldwork embroidery.
- Hardanger Embroidery Project - A great step-by-step Hardanger project that shows you with chart steps, chart and materials list how to complete the project. From the Caron Collection.
- Hardanger Embroidery -Hardanger Embroidery description and origination.
- Hardanger Free Projects and Charts -Want to try Hardanger Needlepoint? Here are some free projects for you to try.
- Hardanger Bookmark -A Hardanger bookmark using 24-ct Congress Cloth, with chart and materials list.
- Whitework History -History of Whitework with examples, techniques and background information.
- Whitework Embroidery -Whitework definition and description.
- Antique Needle Lace Works -History and Examples of different forms of needleworked lace.
- Broderie Anglaise - Broderie Anglaise definition.
- Antique Homemade Laces - Examples and descriptions of various handmade laces including Buratto, Armenian Lace, Carrickmacross and others.